Monday, November 03, 2008

GOTV- making calls

I just finished doing a stint phonebanking for Obama. Since I am in NY State, my calls were going out of state. While I was at the calling location, the Polish Cadets Hall, there were probably 30-40 people there making calls. Very business-like. Nobody was taking anything for granted, everyone calling, reminding people to vote (for Obama, of course), providing polling location information, and asking if people needed rides. Most of my calls were to Milwaukee, but the previous shift of callers were calling Floridians. Apparently, people were commenting that the Floridians seemed to be a bit more, shall we say, vocal when not supporting Obama, than those we called in Wisconsin.
Three things jump out at me from my calling experience.
1. Men are generally less friendly on the phone, especially if they are not for Obama.
2. A LOT of people just use the generic answering machine message (the pre-recorded voice).
3. It’s better to have a map in front of you when you are calling because it helps you visualize better where these people are; you get a better sense that they are people and not just a phone number.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that if you haven’t done any calling, it is not too late. Do a little bit more and enjoy the results tomorrow night. But don’t enjoy until it is done.
GOTV!

No comments: